For some people, gaining weight or adding muscle can be just as difficult as losing weight.
However, simply adding certain foods to your diet can be very effective to gain weight.
Here are best foods to help you gain weight or add muscle, the healthy way.
Homemade Protein Smoothies
Drinking homemade protein smoothies can be a highly nutritious and quick way to gain weight.
It's best to make your own smoothies, since commercial versions are often full of sugar and lack nutrients. Making your own will also allow you to vary the flavor and nutrient content.
Here are just a few tasty variations you can try. You can combine each with 2 cups (470 ml) of milk or an alternative like almond milk.
- Chocolate banana nut shake: Combine 1 banana, 1 scoop chocolate whey protein and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) peanut or other nut butter.
- Vanilla berry shake: Combine 1 cup (237 ml) of fresh or frozen mixed berries, ice, 1 cup (237 ml) high-protein natural yogurt and 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein.
- Chocolate hazelnut shake: Combine 15 ounces (444 ml) of chocolate milk with 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of hazelnut butter and 1 avocado.
- Caramel apple shake: Combine 1 sliced apple, 1 cup (237 ml) natural yogurt, 1 scoop of caramel or vanilla-flavored whey protein and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of sugar-free caramel sauce or flavoring.
- Vanilla blueberry shake: Combine 1 cup (237 ml) fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein, 1 cup (237 ml) vanilla yogurt and sweetener if needed.
- Super green shake: Combine 1 cup (237 ml) of spinach, 1 avocado, 1 banana, 1 cup (237 ml) of pineapple and 1 scoop of unflavored or vanilla whey protein.
All of these smoothies provide around 400–600 calories, along with a high amount of protein and other important vitamins and minerals
Milk has been used as a weight gainer or muscle builder for decades
It provides a good balance of proteins, carbs and fats. It's also a good source of calcium, as well as other vitamins and minerals
For those trying to add more muscle, milk is an excellent protein source that provides both casein and whey proteins. Research has even shown it can help you add muscle when combined with weight lifting
Additionally, studies have shown that milk, or whey and casein combined, can lead to greater mass gain than other protein sources
Try drinking around one or two glasses as a snack, with a meal, or before and after a workout if you are training.